The entire island has been designated a “coastal zone” in the context of the Coastal Zone Management Act. Therefore, all the Territory’s land and sea areas and all its land uses related planning and regulatory agencies, programs and laws falls within the concern of the program. Information on the effect of this program on federally owned lands can be found under Federal Consistency.
Subsequent to the institution of the GCMP, the Twelfth Guam Legislature had enacted comprehensive planning legislation (P.L. 12-200), the objectives of which were similar to those of GCMP. Since both the comprehensive planning efforts and the GCMP shared similar goals and objectives, the Territory’s land use planning and GCMP were merged.
Objectives achieved by GCMP as outlined under local planning legislation are:
(1) To determine the extent that Guam’s land, water and human resources limit urban and rural development;
(2) To plan for the preservation of the natural charm and character of Guam within the framework of a growing population and modern technology;
(3) To establish specified areas of use within urban, suburban, rural, agriculture, conservation, industrial, and resort contexts;
(4) To provide a development pattern that enhances the comfort, convenience and economic welfare of the individual;
(5) To prepare land-use capability criteria as a basis for real property evaluation that equalize the divergent qualities of location;
(6) To reappraise the extent of public, private and Federal land tenure in Guam and provide guidelines for relocation of inefficient or inappropriate uses;
(7) To plan for the development and extension of necessary infrastructure and transportation facilities;
(8) To plan for a high quality environment essentially free from pollution and with adequate and well-kept open space throughout Guam’s varying activity centers;
(9) To prepare criteria of substandard neighborhoods and identify areas that meet these criteria;
(10) To recommend creative legislation regulating Guam’s use of land for the protection of future generations.
These objectives are carried out by the various functions under Land Use and Natural Resource Planning functions.
© 2022 BSP WEBSITE TERM OF USE SITE MAP
This Website is the Official Website for the Bureau of Statistics and Plans.
This website was developed by the staff of the Bureau of Statistics and Plans and has been tested for accessibility using WAVE. (wave.webaim.org).
Disclaimer: GovGuam is not responsible for accessibility in third party applications.